Monday 17 March 2008

'How to Handle a Press Conference' for Betrayed Wives

Poor Mrs Spitzer. Yet another casualty of the Curse of the High-Profile Politician. Hillary Clinton, Norma Major, Pauline Prescott, Judith Mellor - and now Silda Spitzer takes her sorry place in the line-up of the Betrayed Political Wives.

The element of these scandals that I find most excruciating is the inevitable press call where the devoted wife is hauled out alongside her philandering spouse to take her share in his humilliating exposure. Normally she stands by his side and stays quiet, looking respectably upset while he expresses his 'deep regret at the pain I have caused to my wife and family'. Deep regret he got caught, more like.

Why do they do it? I'm sure the reasons are plentiful and complex, and I'm not about to attempt to discuss them here. But I've got an alternative scenario. And I'll vote for any woman who does it, should she subsequently decide that she wants to be Prime Minister.

At the first question from the first journalist, the long-suffering wife steps forward, takes the microphone and makes the following statement.

'Stand by this arsehole? I'd rather stand by a pile of horse shit. I'm only surprised that the ugly bastard managed to find anyone deranged enough to have sex with him in the first place. $5,000? She must have been charging by the 'indaequate fumble'. Thank you all very much for your time, I'm off to make a start on that divorce settlement. Has anyone got the number of Heather Mills' lawyer?'

8 comments:

Maria said...

That made me grin. I, too, just cringe each and every time those political wives have to stand there looking stoically supportive. Just once, I'd like to see her looking daggers at the ass hat.

Queen Goob said...

Love it! I figure these "men" have two people they need to explain their actions to and God is second.....I wouldn’t be as forgiving as He would.

moi said...

Or at least seize the opportunity and show up with a tee shirt that reads: "I'm with stupid."

Helga Hansen said...

No,no, you don't want Heather's lawyer... you want Fiona Shackleton!! Remember, Hevver only managed to get £24.3million... smart Ms Shackleton managed to hang on to the rest!

MommyHeadache said...

Another thing that's interesting is how rich the Spitzers must be so that the wife didn't notice the $80,000 had gone missing from their account. Pocket change no doubt!

Melissaria said...

Maria: Asshat indeed! I would love to know what would be happening with Hillary Clinton's campaign right now had she told dirty Bill to shove his cigar where it belonged...

Queen Goob: I do wonder if these people have the hardest time of all forgiving themselves once all the dust has settled and the relvevant parties have cashed in.

Moi: I love the t-shirt idea! Preferably a revealing glittery number worn under a demure wifey top which could be whipped off at the press conference to surprise all concerned! Although that's then asking for a karaoke rendition of 'I will survive'.

Helga: That's a very fair point. Although the jug of water that she got poured over head from Ms Mills in return for her efforts makes me wonder...

EmmaK: It's a different world isn't it? But as she would obviously have no financial worries if she cleared off, that makes it all the more odd that she's hanging in there. I don't get it!

Karen said...

I just wanted to stop by your blog and wish you and your little family a wonderful and Happy Easter. Have a great weekend.

Melissaria said...

Gypsy: Thanks for the good wishes and I hope you had a lovely Easter too!