Friday 8 February 2008

Splash Therapy

All things considered, it's been a bit a of a crappy week.

This is nothing new, just the usual February blues - Christmas is long gone, Spring is still too far away and the evenings and mornings are still dark and miserable. All that, and the whole Valentine's Day lunacy too - February is not my favourite time of year.

So, in the hope that a bit of weak, late-winter sun and some cold, fresh air would blow away some of the lingering malcontentment that makes me a rancid, horrible February ratbag, I packed the boy into the car this morning, and set off to our local butterflies, birds & wildlife place.

The boy, perhaps sensing my mood, sat in his buggy with politeness and good grace all the way around the tropical butterfly house, smiling and pointing obligingly in all the right places. He wasn't keen on the very loud squawking parrots - a shame, because Charlie the chattering Lory bird is a scream when he gets going - so we had to push on and out of the aviary.

(I wonder if the staff know that Charlie often says 'What's this? What's this? That's shit...' to the gathered pre-schoolers?)

Next up was Pet's Corner, where it seemed like a good enough opportunity to get him out of the buggy and let him have a walk. He chased the chickens, poked at the guinea pigs, and finally, we wandered off into Wallaby Paddock.

And that was when he saw it.

The huge, filthy puddle, lying straight ahead, right in the middle of the path.

'It's OK', I said. 'You've got your wellies on, that's what they're for - off you go'. He didn't need telling twice.

Today, I learned that there is no pleasure on earth to match that experienced by a one-year-old splashing in a puddle for the very first time. I nearly cried with laughter, as he danced, stamped, stomped, splashed, giggled and squealed and the filthy water sloshed all over the pair of us.

As an inexperienced, first-time parent of a toddler, I tend to find that these new experiences often teach me something new on a practical level - so here are today's lessons:

1. All the exciting, hoppity-hop action of an entire, free-roaming mob of tame wallabies is as nothing compared to the unadulterated joy to be had from one good, muddy puddle.

2. Any expedition that involves wellies will also necessitate a change of clothes. This is crucial, because...

3. ...you must choose trousers that will stay tucked in the wellies. The mid-splash-wardrobe-malfunction/no-spare-clothes combination is disastrous!

Bring on the April showers - I'm off out to get myself some new wellies, and get in on the Splash Therapy!

Photo courtesy of Flickr/sierraromeo

10 comments:

Karen said...

Now if only it would freaking rain here I could put my wellies on and have a good splash too. That sounded like heaps of fun and just what I need to get me out of the horrible mood I'm in at the moment. There is nothing like a little child to show you that there is so much joy in the little things in life. I have almost forgotten what that was like.

moi said...

Sounds like a wonderful moment for you both. Right now, we have only left over dessicated snow and lots of ice. Neither are much fun. And being that I live in the Rocky Mountain Southwest, we're not due rain for another three bazillion years. Splash well!

Melissaria said...

Gypsy: Sorry to hear you're feeling low at the moment, and really hope that things pick up for you soon. Glad you're back though! The splashing was just the shift in perspective I needed (until The Husband came home grumbling and moaning, and put me right back where I was!). Next week is half term, so I am busy scheduling in trips with friends to woods and other places where puddles might still be so we can have another go! Failing that, the sea will do just as well...

Moi: It was really lovely, and I didn't even mind the trousers getting caked in mud up to his knees! He hasn't seen snow yet though - we don't seem to get it any more, that's climate change for you!

Jenny said...

I like what Moi said (but I always do..) Splash well!

At least Feb is a short month... except it looks like we get one extra day of it this month.

You're not alone - I hope that helps.

Maria said...

We still have snow up to our asses, won't see any puddles for at least another month or month and a half...

I could USE a puddle right now....

Melissaria said...

AB: I have resolved to make next week the Week of Splash! The rain seems to have cleared up, and most of the puddles along with it, but I know some good muddy woods nearby that should still have some big ones. And yes, bring on March 1st..February is evil.

Maria: Wellies at the ready for when the thaw comes for you, I think! I can't help wondering if my boy will ever see enough snow to build a snowman in his own garden; English winters are not what they used to be - sledging, snowballing, making really dangerous black ice slides in the road; my boy will probably consider those things relics of the 70s and 80s!

Ms Robinson said...

Can you take me with you next time?

Melissaria said...

Dammit - you should have said, we went to our local open farm today, and came home wearing more mud than we left behind.

It is very therapeutic - especially when your toddler splashes most of the mud puddle all over the immaculate passing Bugaboo and owner! He is learning my ways, and fast...

Shazza said...

Good fun!

I still splash in puddles!

Glad you got to enjoy that one!

Melissaria said...

Shazza: Not done it for ages, but will be doing it all the time now. Still not made it to the seafront - I'm waiting until it's warm enough for the dog to join us for that one! Cold spaniels are sad spaniels...