Wednesday 2 April 2008

Caught Red Handed

OK, I'm currently thoroughly snowed under with trying to sell the house, and being a very flaky blogger as a result. It's no mean feat to get a house that has contained a not-quite-two-year-old all day looking like a spotless haven of unrealistic perfection and tranquility, every time the agent rings up and says 'can you do a viewing at 7:15?'. I apologise, and will be back in your comment boxes again shortly, sanity permitting.

So far, we've had two couples who adored the house and wanted to buy it, but couldn't or wouldn't stretch to the asking price. One of them was practically spreadeagled across the breakfast bar, licking it with delight, so I did feel a bit guilty to disappoint, but still...we'll get there in the end. Let it be a lesson to all estate agents that if buyers are going to concoct stories to try and get a discount, they'll need to be rather more intelligent than the ones we've heard so far.

In the meantime, it seems that The Boy and The Husband have got me worked out rather better than I thought. Mooching around the kitchen the other day, I spotted an open packet of my little boy's snack du jour - Pom Bears. 'I'll just have one', I lied to myself. As I slipped my hand in, I felt something soft, dry, and not at all like a teddy-bear-shaped potato crisp.

It was a piece of kitchen roll. 'Very odd - The Husband must have thought it would keep them fresh. Men, eh?', I reasoned to myself. As I put the kitchen roll down, I noticed some scrawl written across it. The scrawl said;

Mummy,

These are MY crispies.

Hands off.

Love,
The Boy.xx
I'm not sure which is worse - that I got caught out stealing my little boy's snacks, or that my taste has deteriorated from the dizzy heights of Sea Salt and Balsamic Vinegar Kettle Chips to the point where Pom Bears are an exciting snack sensation.
They are good though...

8 comments:

100 Thoughts of Love said...

ha that was cute of your son...smart kid!!!

Ms Robinson said...

Melissaria: I have just discovered the Pom Bear too..at my godchildren's. He is a very nice snack and I am not usually given to the savoury snack.

moi said...

I know not of the Pom Bear. Is that an Across Da Pond thing? Like Ms R, I rarely get the munchies for savory. But when I do, I really slum. Puffy Cheetos all the way. And woe unto the Spousal Unit who sticks his grubby hands in the bag.

Helga Hansen said...

I adore Pom Bears, and it doesn't bother me one bit to buy them now, even with a 15yr old teen in the house... he still likes getting Kinder Eggs from the Easter Mummy!!

Darn... now I've got a serious yearning to go out and buy a multipack!! Loved your smart little tyke, though... aaaww bless!!

Melissaria said...

Pat: I suspect The Husband's devious hand at work here. He loves to show me to be predictable. But when it comes to food, that's not hard.

Ms Robinson: They are so good that I am beginning to suspect the manufacturers of lacing them with something illicit and addictive. Get a bag out around your average toddler and it's like chucking catnip into a lion enclosure.

Moi: It must be a UK thing. They started off in health food shops, before 'wheat and gluten-free' and 'no artifical ingredients' became mainstream, but now everyone has them. Including the parents...

Helga: I'm glad to hear it - it looks as though Pom Bears are the new Farley's Rusks; bought for the kids, eaten by the mums! Not tried the other flavours yet - saving that pleasure for later.

Maria said...

Smart child. Liv loves chocolate milk and while I profess not to like it, she will tape a note across it saying, "Plese do not disterb Liv's milk."

I don't disturb it. I just take a nip now and then.

Karen said...

Good luck with selling the house. I remember having to keep a house looking like something out of Home Beautiful with 3 year old twins in the house...yeah right. It gets a bit nerve wracking when you find the right house to move into and the other one hasn't been sold yet so I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

Melissaria said...

Maria: And the dodgy spelling makes it all the sweeter!

I haven't introduced chocolate milk yet - I keep my own supply well hidden, and will be sticking to that, especially as he mugged me for my cream doughnut this morning (threw his organic rice cake on the floor and practically hauled it from my mouth...)

Gypsy: I must post an update - we sold in under 2 weeks. Had three offers. Stagnant market, my arse...anyway, the house is back to it's usual slovenly state, and we can all relax a bit now! Good to see you back!