Thursday 31 January 2008

Turd Coat Takeover

Remember this? The £460 Moncler coat that I recently described as a 'gigantic shrink-wrapped turd'?

They have taken over our streets. They are everywhere. Even on friends who may well read my blog and now think that I am a dreadful, stylistically-challenged old boot-face who clearly hasn't realised that the 1990s ended some time ago.*

It's not the Moncler version I'm seeing - the high street interpretation is less shiny, and granted, less turdesque, but even so...this looks like yet another seasonal trend, along with Crocs, skinny jeans, and that whole 'gypsy skirt with huge dinner-plate belt' look that is going to have to pass me by.

The Husband nailed the quilted coat thing though. 'Looks exactly like boiler lagging, especially on the short, fat ones'.

Go on, look again and tell us we're wrong...



*If you would like to make a generous donation so that I can book a consultation with Gok Wan, and get my 'bangers' projected on to the side of an enormous building, then please don't hesitate to get in touch...

9 comments:

Karen said...

I think that coat looks like a sleeping bag with arms. I would rather suffer from hyperthermia than be seen wearing that hideous piece of crap. As for those crocs - ewwww. I guess I will always be fashionably challenged and that's just fine by me.

Melissaria said...

Gypsy: I know - I swear fashion designers are trying to prove a point. I often imagine that they must get together in the evenings and go 'you know, I wonder if we could get anyone to wear this?' and then roll around with laughter at the thought!

moi said...

After the birth of Crocs, I didn't think it possible to detest a fashion trend more. But this puffy coat business – sweet jesus, it's the cockroach of the fashion world. Unless you're freakin' climbing Mt. Everest next Tuesday, walk on by and purchase yourself a sensible wool button down.

Melissaria said...

Moi: That made me laugh - and it's so nice to know I'm not alone on this one, when I often find myself alone in not following whatever trend happens to be around at any given moment. Looking around yeserday, I did notice a lot of 'boyfriend' jeans (hate the name, love the cut...) and brown woollen jumpers, and felt quite relieved - those I can definitely do...

Maria said...

I just do not see the appeal. It does sort of make you want to touch it in a grotesque way.....

Shazza said...

You're right...it does look like a shrink wrapped turd.

I haven't seen them in the US yet thankfully.

Melissaria said...

Maria: I know what you mean - not so much the boiler lagging ones I keep seeing here, but the Moncler one does look quite squidgy, in a grotesque sort of way!

Shazza: I suspect that the US Fashion Police might have slightly stricter standards...£460 though, I believe that's about $900. For a turd. It's just wrong...

Ms Robinson said...

I like the husband's comment. As for your other objects of derision, I'm with you. But what about leggings..on the wrong people (as in not your waif like niece?) And Crocs: Can you imagine the husband who comes home and finds his wife in those? This is how affairs start.

Melissaria said...

Ms Robinson: I couldn't agree more. If The Husband ever came home and found me sat around in a boiler lagging coat, leggings and Crocs, then I don't think he'd bother with the affair - that would be how a divorce starts!