Monday 19 November 2007

Distraction Addenda

As it turns out, I don't actually know any 'self-satisfied shit-horns', so I was reduced to shouting it at Nigella, for describing a measurement of some ingredient or other as 'about 2 espresso cups'. I'm sure her audience understood her perfectly, but really, how middle-class?

The Husband took an opportunity to remind me why I like him so much; as Nigella's much-hyped 'effortless' tagine came out of the oven, he announced that it looked 'like a pile of monkey turds'. And it really did.

And whilst we're being crude, I had this comment e-mailed to me about my last post and felt that it deserved sharing, along wtih its reply...

"Not sure you’ve considered the implication of the phrase “self satisfied shit horn” or in particular…. the “shit horn” bit. It implies as the cramming of shit into something, playing on shoe horn…I think it’s an even cruder way of saying “fudge packer”. In short – you’re glorifying a term of abuse that I don’t think you mean to."

As I woudn't ever deliberately glorify homophobic terminology, I checked it out on Urban Dictionary and found that what it actually means is:

'When you sit on the toilet and fart. The echo of farting in a toilet.'

As per the following example:

'Every morning dad wakes us up by playing the shit horn.'

I like it even more now. Don't say you never learn anything here.

4 comments:

MommyHeadache said...

but did the monkey turd looking tagine taste good?? that's the main thing

Melissaria said...

It looked awful. She's not talented enough to make monkey turds look tasty...and the lazy cow hadn't even bothered to peel the garlic!

Bittersweet said...

my husband's speciality (not the tagine .. the morning echo) and now i know there is a name for it - i am impressed.

Melissaria said...

I'm certain it's no coincidence that with the shit horn - as with most brass instruments - the best players tend to be men!

I do love a good dirty euphemism - I'll know I'm over the hill when I stop finding them funny.