Thursday 29 November 2007

Underhand Marketing Tactics 3





...the bastards nearly had me as well...


Whilst in the grips of raging PMT yesterday afternoon, I popped into my local Tesco Metro. I was suffering from that sensation of 'if I don't eat a huge quantity of chocolate right now I am going to do some serious damage to something.'

Anyway, there was a HUGE yellow sign right underneath my favourite chocolate bars, saying 'SPECIAL OFFER - 3 for £1.00'. 'Fantastic', I thought, grabbing at them like a deranged pigeon dancing on a discarded pile of chips. 'That ought to keep me going until teatime...'

Hang on a minute though...what does that little white sign poking out from underneath the HUGE yellow one say?

32p each, you say...
Dirty, thieving bastards. And yes, I did complain. The signs are now gone.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

when I lived in England, I remember the chocolate. Oh you Brits can do the candy well.

Truly.

Melissaria said...

Yes, we are very, very lucky with our chocolate. As far as I know, only the Belgians manage to do it just as well, but Belgian chocolate tends to be expensive here.

British wine is generally horrible though; definitely one area in which 'buying local' is never going to work well for us!

Never mind, we can still buy Cadbury's Dairy Milk, by the kilo...mmmmmm!

Joanna Cake said...

That's scandalous. Do we really have to check whether the special offers are actually special offers now?

Melissaria said...

I know! It's more likely that the staff in my local shop are actually a bit dim, and put the offer sign on the wrong product, but still, you do have to be careful...offers are not always what they seem.