Friday 23 November 2007

No, NO, NO!!

OK, that's pretty much all I seem to say these days, as a result of trial by toddler, and I really must get a grip and try some POSITIVE parenting.

Apparently, you are just supposed to ignore bad behaviour, but here's a quick list of behaviours that I simply can't ignore. Please, someone, tell me I'm not misjudging this?

  1. Bashing toy bricks on my wooden table tops
  2. Bashing toy bricks on the windows
  3. Throwing toy bricks at the dog
  4. Playing with plug sockets
  5. Throwing toys down the stairs
  6. Surfing on upturned activity tables
  7. Playing with dirty nappies
  8. Tipping food into Mummy's lap (the icy cereal milk actually made me scream...)
  9. Flushing clothes down the toilet.

Repeat the above sequence of events about 75 times, and that's pretty much my day at the moment. Add to that the apparent dropping of the 2 hour lunchtime nap, and what you get is a woman on the edge of her sanity.

I'm handling it at the moment by taking him out lots. I've got a great story about a sweary parrot and some menacing wallabies at one of the local kiddie attractions, but it will have to wait till another time. The Husband and I are having a rare Night Out, and I must go and make myself look presentable. Finding something without snot trails on the shoulders and tomato sauce up the legs would be a good start. I won't recognise myself without them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Throwing is something they like to do. My son and I played a game called `throw the nappy` I used cloth nappies for him so I would roll them up and we`d throw them at each other. By the time he was two he could fold them in half and roll them himself. We had a huge box from a neighbours oversized TV which was fantastic, he could climb on to it and then jump on to the bed as I threw the nappies.
I also bought a rope ladder that was hung above the bed, very useful for exhausting them during the winter, great for upper body strength and still used four years later.
Also, if you are considering more children do it now, they keep each other company better.
If he`s interested in the toilet start teaching him how to use it, I know it`s hard but you`ve got to do it sooner or later, the advantages of cloth nappies is that you can train them earlier as they do understand that when they wee it makes them wet.
Good luck, I know it`s hard.

Melissaria said...

Thanks for that Claudia, yes I've just got to remove the cork, and go with the flow a bit more. I'd got the baby phase nailed, and felt pretty capable, competent and confident, and it feels very much 'back to square one' now.

Luckily, I've discovered a great soft play centre near me, where it's only £1 to get in, and they can just run around bouncing off things until they fall asleep. Brilliant for those 'end of tether' moments, at least until he notices all the junk food for sale!

I'm getting Christmas and New Year out of the way before thinking about any more kids - 2 years of being the only one still sober means that it's payback time this year!

Cloth nappies are great - my boy can sign now when he wants a change, but he will only do it when he's wearing a cloth one; hopefully that will give me a good head start on the old potty training!

Jenny said...

May I suggest the removel of the bricks from your toddler's arensal?

I hope your rare evening out was fabulous. I think it was well deserved.

Melissaria said...

I think I might have to do just that. I've got some soft ones he can build towers with for now.

It's an easy call really given that he can now catch the dog; remove them from the boy's arsenal, or remove them from the dog's arse.

The night out wasn't so great - we saw a comedian who just wasn't that funny. But I got to drink beer, and talk to adults, which was nice!

MommyHeadache said...

I am probably the wrong person to ask about this because i am very very lax. But I think it is sensible to ignore most of this behavior, although the flushing clothes down the toilet should be stamped out. My three year old flushed a teddy down the toilet and my husband had to take the toilet apart...a total nightmare.

Like anonymous boxer said, get rid of his bricks. Other than that, that is how toddlers are. Valium is an option. also I found going to a playgroup every day with a toddler helps ease the excruciating boredom/tension. Good luck!

Melissaria said...

Funny, I do sometimes finding myself counting down the minutes until gin 'o' clock...

I know, I need to relax A LOT MORE!! As of today, The Husband has been informed, I am officially lowering my expectations of myself, and if that means he has to wash his own pants occasionally, then tough tits!

The bricks are gone now, apart from the ones I am finding stuffed down every possible crevice and crack (not, I hope, the dog's...)