Thursday 15 November 2007

The F-word and the Grinch

It's Grinch Day again. It seems to come earlier every year, but checking back through defunct blog and paper diary pages, I find that actually I'm pretty much on schedule.


Grinch Day - the day on which I officially give myself permission to be a rancid old bag on the subject of anythng, you know...

FESTIVE.

The family over the road could have put their blue lights up for any number of reasons, but there was no escape from today's horror.

A 40 foot inflatable Santa, for sale in the garden centre on the main road into my town. It was the size of my house. And given it's prominence, we can be fairly certain that every bastard in Essex who is not over-burdened with good taste will be getting one.

I can't bear it...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it has started here too on the other side of the world in Ms R lia. The problem here, is that although it may be Xmas it is also the beginning of summer when excess lighting is , frankly , unneccesary(not possible to spell that word right now without alot of needless self doubt and rubbings out.
Since being inspired to play more piano, I have been offered a piano student. She is eight years old, was three when I first met her on arriving in Austalia. I bought the 165 acre block next to her parents.
I have two small children, being a mother is learning how to teach.
I came to mothering late, perhaps I am surprised to find this out,
so late.

Melissaria said...

Hi Claudia - you're spot on about motherhood meaning you have to learn how to teach, and it can be hard! I struggle with it, patience not being one of my special talents, but I'm learning all the time too!

I always find the idea of Christmas in summer really hard to imagine; to me, it's carol concerts in freezing churches, holly, snow, wrapping up really warm, mulled wine, and of course, bad taste lighting everywhere, because it's dark by 3pm in December! Those associations are so deeply ingrained - one year, I will have to go somewhere where they can be thoroughly challenged!