Sunday 11 November 2007

Slummy Mummy

So, what with the insomnia and the teething toddler (intermittent crying from 3am - 5am this morning), I am not exactly at my best today. Thankfully, this allows me to forgive myself for what I did this evening.

The boy has discovered an insatiable enthusiasm for books this week. It's coincided with the walking - he can now get one from his box and bring it over to me to read with him. 20 times in succession. Then another one, 20 times in succession.

Anyway, by 6:30 this evening, I was pretty much down to my very last nerve, especially with 'Where's Spot?' - 'Is he in the cupboard? - NO; Is he inside the clock? - NO'*and I found myself uttering the unimaginable:

'Oh pleeeeaase, just put the book down and watch the TV'

We will be visiting the library for some new books tomorrow, to keep Mummy from losing her last remaining shreds of sanity.

*He's in the basket. These things can be a worry, I know.

2 comments:

MommyHeadache said...

What's the story?? Is this your first born? Don't beat yourself around the head with guilt. The TV is nature's babysitter and should be indulged on occasion.

Melissaria said...

Yes he's my first; is is that obvious?

I do wish he was a little bit more interested in the TV; at the moment we have one prorgramme a day, just before bedtime, when I am right at my wits' end.

Generally he watches the first 10 minutes, then goes off to play with toys, or bring me a book, and then goes back to it for the 'time to go to sleep' sequence that's the same every night.

During the day though, no chance, he's just not into it. Thank God for the 2 hour lunchtime nap!