Monday 12 November 2007

It's started already.

Someone on my street has started decorating the outside of their house for Christmas. Last time I looked it was barely mid-November. I haven't fallen asleep and missed a month, have I?

It's only the blue lights so far, but I'm just wondering how early they will consider acceptable for the flashing choo-choo trains and animated reindeers this year.

Last time I looked, Christmas was meant to last for 12 days, not for a sixth of the year. Can you imagine what the carol singers would have to go through:


On the 61st day of Christmas, my true love sent to me:
61 flashing stars
60 blow-up snowmen
...
...
...
3 nodding reindeer
2 choo-choo trains

And the bill for the electricity.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I will not even think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving.**fingers in my ears****lalalalal.

Melissaria said...

Unfortunately in the UK, our retail year kicks in for Christmas the day after Bonfire Night. Being the grinch that I am, I find the whole thing incredibly tedious.

Last year, I managed to do all my shopping online and didn't go into a single shop, which was a blessed relief. This year I have a 15 month old, and I'm on the brink of thinking about taking him to a Santa's grotto. Only on the brink, mind - we're still at an age where he doesn't miss what he doesn't know about, and I'm milking it for all it's worth! Next year, I'm definitely screwed.

Ms Robinson said...

Ha Ha. I bet they forgot about the bill. I hate Christmas because they play havoc with the supermarket aisles so they can put Plum Puddings everywhere. It destroys my routine.

Melissaria said...

I couldn't agree more.

And if it's not plum puddings, it's those awful selection boxes...a quick scan of the Sainsbury's website tells me that a Cadburys selection box is £1.28/100g, whereas a 400g bar of Dairy Milk is £0.54/100g. I know which I'd prefer!

Dirty, thieving bastards.

Looks as though my annual metamorphosis into The Grinch has happened a couple of weeks early this year...