Wednesday 7 November 2007

Tales from The Chair, Chapter 3

Whilst there is no doubt in my mind that I will eventually win the War of The Chair, today I must concede defeat on the current battle; Eating With My Toddler.

The parenting books make it sound so simple.

If you regularly sit and share mealtimes with your toddler, they sagely advise, then he will quickly learn to feed himself, and surpass your expectations and impress your friends and family with his exquisite table manners.

It's not true.

The reailty is this; you need one hand on your plate to stop it being thrown on the floor, one hand on his bowl to stop it being thrown on the floor, a third hand to feed yourself, and a fourth to shovel his food into his mouth. Do you see the problem?

I surrender.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

and I suppose using your feet would negate too much?

Yes, probably so.

Melissaria said...

I have been known to try and pick food up from the floor with my feet during particularly hectic food fights.

I'll try anything once if I think it will save a couple of minutes later! It didn't though - the dog stole my sock, and then I trod in the food trying to get it back. All in all, a complete disaster!